The post is full time, consisting of 38 hours per week, to be worked at the parish office in Chartham, to include some evening meetings and occasional weekend working, and partly at home (working pattern to be by arrangement and mutual agreement with the Chairman).
The post is offered with pension arrangements and holiday entitlement.
The salary will be according to experience in accordance with the NJC salary scales with starting salary in the region of SCP Point 34 (£30k).
Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Applicants are required to hold a suitable current qualification in financial matters plus experience in the use of SAGE accounting.
- Applicants should have an understanding of concurrent funding and precept budgets and applications and knowledge of how to apply for grants when applicable.
- A knowledge of planning rules and regulations would be an advantage.
- The ideal candidate will have excellent IT skills, excellent interpersonal and communications skills, good and accurate organisational and administrative skills.
- The successful person must be flexible, able to deal with a wide range of issues and be able to work on their own initiative.
- Experience and knowledge of working with local government procedures is highly preferable.
- An experienced Parish Clerk is preferred – one with the CilCA qualification or someone prepared to work towards the CiLCA qualification is ideal.
The post is challenging and varied.
Duties will include:
- Managing all contractors in the continuing maintenance of the village.
- Preparation of the papers for the monthly meetings and all additional sub-committee meetings and the Annual Parish Assembly meeting. To take accurate minutes.
- Supporting the councillors and promoting the interests of the parish
- Giving procedural advice and carrying out the Council’s administrative tasks
- Dealing with all general enquiries and correspondence
- Preparing accounts and annual budget and keeping accurate records for audit and reporting purposes
- Updating the parish council’s website
- Being a point of contact for the public and other agencies, including out of hours.
- The successful candidate ideally will be able to drive and hold a full UK driving licence as duties include driving around the parish and visiting noticeboards and attending appointments, etc – mileage can be reclaimed at the current NALC mileage rate.
- Chartham includes a cemetery where the clerk would be expected to be in attendance at funerals and have some knowledge of the procedures and paperwork, although training can be given.
To apply for an application form and job pack please email or write to the Chartham Parish Council Chairman at the address above.
Closing date for applications for the role is 13th July 2018.
Shortlisting and interviews to be arranged. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by the Chairman by the 20th July 2018
There would be a trial period of 3 months. Provided this proves satisfactory, a contract between the two parties will be signed. If unsatisfactory employment will be terminated.
The proposed start date for commencement of the trial period of employment is expected to be 3rd September 2018